So today was the opening of the 2013 GoogleIO developer conference in San Francisco and the Googlers announced a insanely crazy amount of new projects/services/features in just the first few hours, which is very exciting for every web/android developer. The next three days will be very busy, with a lot of focus on Chrome, Android and Google+.
The keynote started with a big fail demo effect happened in the very first demo about Android multiplayer gaming when demoing a new Google Cloud Messaging feature, quite embarassing, but then everything ran smoothly.
Here’s a little recap of the most important things announced just during the 3 hours keynote :
- Google cloud messaging : can now be used in a bidirectionnal way, and apps can now also store data in the cloud and sync it across devices (scores, leaderboards…).
- Google Game Services platform to help game developers with new APIs
- Samsung Galaxy S4 will be available in June on Google Play with standard Android build and unlocked bootloader ! 649$ though but without that ugly, messy, shitty Samsung overlay.
- Android studio to replace Eclipse nightmare, finally ! good move !
- Unified and synced notifications between devices.
- Translation service for apps, better analytics…
- Enhanced maps API
- Access to all the music for 9.99$/month
- Discover to new recommended songs with google suggestions
- Google powered radio feature based on what you like
- 750 millions active chrome users globally
- WebP and VP9 royalty-free compression standards for images and videos to increase speed specially on mobile devices.
- Google provides a free (deactivable) proxy for Android to improve speed based on this codecs.
- New payment autocomplete API will help process payments quickly on websites, specially useful on mobile (2 clicks payments)
- Google will finally release a rock solid UI framework based on web components standards : polymer-project.org . I wonder how it will fit with AngularJS.
- New interface :)
- Better Hangouts
- Unified notifications across devices
- Better pictures management, event an ‘auto awesome’ mode :)
- iPad version this summer
- Brand new Google maps, with new design, more space for content, and builtin 3D thanks to WebGL
- You can now send money to your friends right from Gmail with google wallet :)
- Developers can now add actions to their email
In other news
- Google Play for education allows teachers/schools to push content directly to students devices
- Google TVs will be updated to Android 4.2 and latest chrome !
Anything missed ?
You can still watch the full keynote on Youtube of course.